7 Ways to Make Money as a Programmer in 2021
Are you a programmer before your first job and don’t make any money out of it? Or, you have a job, but you want to earn more money on the side? Below you’ll find 7 Ways to Make Money as a Programmer in 2021. Choose the way you like the most, and you’ll be amazed at how fast you can start making some money. The only things you need are – time and consistency. It’s not the “get rich quick” formula, and that’s why you need to put some time and effort. Along the way, you might face different obstacles, and consistency will help you overcome them.
If you don’t have a programming language yet, check out Top 10 Programming Languages. On the other hand, if you’ve been programming for a while, you might want to improve your skills and become better. Here are Best 17 Books for Programmers in 2021 that will help you in your coding career.
Freelancing is one of the best ways to make money as a programmer. There are two approaches that you can take – passive and active. The first one is about posting your offer and waiting for someone to hire you. On the other hand, by following the second one, you’ll be looking at available freelancing jobs, and you’ll apply to them by yourself. You can choose which approach you like the most, but I’d suggest investing some time and doing both. By doing so, you’re maximizing your opportunities and money that you can make out of it.
7 Steps to start making money as a freelancer
- Decide whether freelancing is the right path for you
- Find a platform to start with
- Build your business profile
- Create a portfolio where you will showcase your skills and include your past projects
- Determine your pricing and services that you can offer
- Develop your own strategy for finding clients
- Build connections and long-term relationships
Popular websites for freelancers
- Start a Freelance Business: Take Back Your Freedom Now
- Fiverr Freelancing 2021: Sell Fiverr Gigs Like The Top 1%
- How to Start Freelancing in 9 Steps
2. Create an online course
Many people love this way of making money as a programmer. It’s really scalable and hence rewarding over time. There are tons of websites where you can post your course or even create your own site. Let’s take a look at Udemy. It’s an online learning and teaching marketplace where you can sell your product. With over 35 million students, it gives you a huge opportunity to make a good amount of money by providing high-quality content. You don’t have to be an expert in everything. Pick one topic that you’re really good at and do some research. Check if there are already some courses in this niche and if the demand is enough for you.
Why should you create an online course?
- You earn passive income
- You can reach millions of people
- By providing good value through your course, you are building trust and authority with your customers
- Before you earn any money, you need to spend some time creating your tutorial
- To make money over a long period, you have to update your course regularly because otherwise, it’ll become outdated
- The commission rates on some websites are relatively high
Sample topics for your course
- Backend Development
- Data Science
- Machine Learning
- Android Development
- IOS Development
- Game Development
- How to Create an Awesome Online Course
- Udemy Masters: Learn Online Course Creation
- How I Make 7 Figures Selling Online Courses
- Create an online course THAT SELLS
3. Become a tutor
There are millions of people that want to learn how to code. If you have skills and you want to help others, this income stream is right for you. Besides having an opportunity to make a lot of money, teaching somebody and seeing that he becomes better and better every day is really fulfilling.
It doesn’t really matter how advanced you are because there will always be somebody who has less knowledge and experience than you. You can start by teaching people locally in your area. That’s usually easier than tutoring online because local people already know and trust you. However, if you don’t have anybody around you, or you want to reach a bigger audience – going online is a path for you.
What things can be tutored?
- How to start coding as a beginner
- Every existing programming language and technology
- How to become better as a programmer
- Code quality and refactoring
- Systems design and architecture
- …and many more
Websites where you make money by tutoring online
- 5 Tips To Become A Programming Tutor
- 3 Steps to Becoming a Coding Teacher
- Become an Online Tutor – Find Online Tutoring Jobs in 2021
4. Write an e-book
You might be thinking that writing an e-book requires spending a lot of time and having a massive amount of knowledge. The answer is – sometimes it does but not always. Just write about a specific niche you have some knowledge about, and you think it can help other people. Keep it short and simple. E-books can even have 30 – 40 pages and still be a really useful source of information. People love simplicity, so writing a short but informative e-book is a good idea. What’s also important is that not many people use this way of making money as a programmer so it’s easier for you to stand out compared to other methods.
7 Steps to publish your first e-book on Amazon
- Sign up for Kindle Direct Publishing Account
- Do some research and choose your topic
- Think about a good title and description
- Create a good-looking cover
- Choose the right keywords and category
- Write your book
- Pick the right pricing and publish your first writing
- How to Sell Ebooks on Amazon: 7 Tips For Making Money as An Author
- Kindle Secrets: How I Wrote a Best Selling eBook In 72 hours
- How To Self Publish A Book On Amazon (STEP-BY-STEP TUTORIAL)
5. Create a YouTube channel
Starting a Youtube channel is a great way to share knowledge, learn new things and earn money at the same time. You can either create tutorials on the things you already know or start by reading about something new and then publish a video about it. There are many Youtube channels out there, and if you want to succeed, you need to do something differently. You can work in a really specific niche or do videos on existing topics but differentiate yourself by providing much higher quality. What’s great about Youtube is that when you establish some measurable traffic, you can start cooperating with other Youtubers. By doing so, you can meet new people and create unique content together. It’s a fantastic way to grow your social network and reach much more people than you could alone.
Sample video topics for your Youtube channel
- Tutorials and courses
- Tips & Tricks
- Day in the life of a programmer
- Entertaining videos
Popular Youtube channels for some inspiration
- YouTube Masterclass – Your Complete Guide to YouTube
- How To Create A YouTube Channel! (2020 Beginner’s Guide)
- How to Start and Grow Your YouTube Channel from Zero — 7 Tips
6. Develop a mobile application
Have you always wanted to launch your own mobile app? If so, building one is the right path for you. You can create an application by yourself or team up with other programmers. Nowadays, many people are looking for partners to code together, gain experience and build something unique that potentially can make money. It’s an excellent opportunity to improve your coding and communication skills, as well as create something that pays you regular dividends over the years.
There are many ways to make money with a mobile application, such as displaying ads, participating in affiliate programs, or having subscription plans in your app. And that’s why everyone will find something that he likes and can use in his project. But at the end of the day, your application’s success will purely depend on your creativity, teamwork, and effort that you put into that project. Keep this in mind, and don’t forget that success doesn’t come overnight.
Some ideas for your first mobile application
- Expense tracker
- Language learning app
- Fitness app
- Restaurants finder
- Photo editor
- How To Make An App in 2021
- Flutter & Dart – The Complete Guide [2021 Edition]
- 60+ Brilliant App Ideas for Startups to Launch in 2021
7. Take part in hackathons
Participating in hackathons is one of the most unique ways to make money as a programmer. There are usually two reasons why people take part in them – fun and prizes. Why don’t you combine these two and make a good amount of money while having some fun? There is also one more purpose of taking part in hackathons. If you don’t have a job yet, or you aren’t happy with your existing one, by participating in such events, you have a chance to get noticed by big companies. If you showcase your skills and ability to work well in a team, you can eventually be hired by one of the companies sponsoring the hackathon.
You don’t need to have an existing team to participate in a hackathon. There are usually many people in the same situation as you and are willing to create a team. However, if you don’t want to code in a group or you are eager to take a challenge alone, you can always participate by yourself.
There are generally two types of hackathons – local and online ones. It doesn’t matter which one you choose becuase both of them are definitely worth your time. Every hackathon has different prizes. They vary from minor ones such as website subscriptions to as big as tens of thousands of dollars. It’s also common to include some electronic devices such as gadgets, phones, and laptops.
Websites where you can participate online
7 Ways to Make Money – Conclusion
There are many ways how you can make money as a programmer. You need to pick one that you really like and stick to it. Be consistent, put the required effort, and you’ll earn a good amount of money.
If this article gave you some value, don’t forget to share it with other people. Thank you!